I decided to try out Jamie Oliver's recipe for sweet short pastry, instead of the Roux variant recipe I normally use. After all, Jamie promised it was "Perfect" sweet pastry. Well, I'm here to tell you; Jamie lies.
Not to say that recipe was revolting. It just couldn't hold a candle to the Roux Brothers. Jamie Oliver is a very good chef, but if it's pastry you're after, go to an expert. To clarify, Jamie's pastry is VERY biscuity, which is nice in a biscuit.... but I like my pastry to be vaguely pastrylike. Also, Jamie's recipe uses lemon zest, which would be a nice touch, if the flavour of lemon zest didn't overpower everything.
The pastry itself was also very floury and crumbly (even though I didn't use all the flour he called for), and because of this, I could only get a thick pastry, which didn't help the biscuit factor. All in all, I really cannot recommend the recipe.... but if you want to try it anyway, it's in "Jamie's Kitchen".
Anyway, as you may have guessed in the first paragraph, I used Jamie's pastry as the base of a banoffee pie. It was delicious. And rich. There are plenty of recipes for making it on the internet, but once you have your crust, the rest is very easy to assemble. The toffee is made by boiling condensed milk in the can for four hours, and sliced bananas are sliced bananas. Make sure to add some coffee to the cream as you whip it (if you have a little black coffee from a plunger or espresso machine, even better) to taste. Even if you don't like coffee very much, do try a bit, I felt that the coffee flavour cut through some of the rich sweetness of the toffee and banana.
And of course, a picture of my pie. I sprinkled some leftover Lindt drinking chocolate in top, but you could add whatever you fancy, like almonds, powdered chocolate or coffee, or some banana slices.
No comments:
Post a Comment